Distance makes the heart grow fonder, but that doesn’t
mean that being in a long-distance relationship is easy.
Couples must make date nights, quality time, and communication a priority even when they aren’t in the same city, which can be extra tough. Research suggests that long-distance couples are happier when there is an end date for the distance, but trying to figure out whether and how it will be possible to close the distance certainly adds some pressure to a relationship.
So, what helps? Well, language and written word are powerful tools when it comes to keeping love alive.
Relationship quotes have the ability to change and uplift our hearts, strengthen our determination, and motivate us to stay loyal and dedicated to our partner – even when we are in a long-distance relationship.
Here are 20 relationship quotes to inspire you when your LDR gets hard.
1. “The simple lack of you is more to me than others’ presence.”
One of the reason relationship quotes are so amazing to focus on is because they help you put your thoughts into words. Sometimes, the absence of the person you love the most feels more tangible than the actual presence of other friends and family.
2. “The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.”
This quote is fantastic because it reminds us to look at
the silver lining in our LDR. Instead of being sad to say goodbye, look ahead
at how happy you will be to see your S/O in person again.
3. “Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful; it’s for the bold. It’s for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love.”
Love is not for the weary. Especially not long-distance love! Take comfort knowing that what you’re doing takes strength and heart.
4. “Absence sharpens love. Presence strengthens it.”
Being in a LDR gives us the unique opportunity to get to
know our spouse on the deepest level possible before being physical with them.
Let this time apart sharpen your love and communication skills.
5. “We were together even when we were apart.”
Shannon A. Thompson
This is such a beautiful quote about love. Just because
you are not able to be with your spouse in person, does not mean that they are
never with you.
6. “Love knows no distance; it hath no continent; its eyes are for the stars.”
The next time you are feeling sad, depressed, or alone,
look up at the cascade of stars above you. These are the same stars your
soulmate is looking up at.
7. “Love is not finding someone to live with. It’s finding someone you can’t live without.”
Let these words sink in. You are so lucky to have found
someone who completes your soul.
8. “Absence makes the heart grow fonder, but it sure makes the rest of you lonely.”
Charles M. Schulz
Long-distance relationships are satisfying in many ways,
but being in a healthy relationship doesn’t mean the distance will never bother
9. “Distance means so little, when someone means so much.”
Make it a habit to focus on the good in your relationship.
Make a list of qualities you absolutely love about your spouse and dwell on
these when you are feeling lonely.
10. “I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my heart).”
This relationship quote reads just like poetry and reminds us that when we are in love, our heart is well-cared for.
11. “The scariest thing about distance is you don’t know if they’ll miss you or forget about you.”
Many LDR couples have wondered if being apart for so long
will cause their relationship to crumble. Don’t let these thoughts fill you
with anxiety. If you and your spouse are truly meant to be, you will never
leave each other’s thoughts or hearts.
12. “I don’t cry because we’ve been separated by distance, and for a matter of years. Why? Because for as long as we share the same sky and breathe the same air, we’re still together.”
Donna Lynn Hope
Are long-distance relationships worth it? Loving someone
when there is a physical distance between you can be a difficult challenge, but
it is also incredibly rewarding.
13. “In true love, the smallest distance is too great and the greatest distance can be bridged.”
Until you are able to see your spouse again in person,
make sure you are bridging the gap in your LDR with amazing communication
14. “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard?”
Winnie the Pooh
When you are in a long-distance relationship, one of the
best feelings is arriving at the airport and starting your first day of a long
weekend together. But the worst feeling is saying goodbye at the end of your
Instead of looking at this as a negative (“When will I see
you again?”) remember this quote from Winnie the Pooh and look at the positive
in your circumstances. You are lucky to have someone you love so much.
15. “I exist in two places, here and where you are.”
have this amazing ability to transport you to a world of poetic verses that say
exactly how you feel. Sometimes all we want to do is reach out and transport
ourselves to wherever our love resides and stay there forever.
16. “Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell.”
Edna St. Vincent Millay
It’s good to think positive when you are in a LDR, but
sometimes all you want to do is wallow in the sadness you feel. This beautiful
quote reminds us that when it comes to the pain we feel, we are never alone.
17. “Ocean separates lands, not souls.”
This is one of our favorite relationship quotes because it
reminds us that the only thing separating us is land. We are not separated by
our hearts, souls, or minds.
18. “Love will travel as far as you let it. It has no limits.”
And neither does technology! Use the Internet and your smartphones to your advantage by building up your friendship and emotional (and physical!) intimacy through video chats and great relationship apps like Rabbit, which allows you to watch videos at the same time with your sweetheart.
19. “In many ways, the art of love is largely the art of persistence.”
In long-distance relationships, you and your spouse must
be persistent. It’s the key to maintaining a happy, healthy partnership when
you don’t have a physical connection to fall back on.
20. “Distance between two people is inconsequential when their souls are united.”
We love this quote because it reminds us that as long as
you and your partner work hard to maintain your deep connection to one another,
there is no way your love could ever fail.
Whenever you are feeling down about your long-distance relationship, will you let these meaningful relationship quotes enter your heart and help you look at the positive side in your circumstance?
And if you want more great relationship quotes, check out our collection of 100+ LDR love quotes here.
Sylvia Smith is a writer who likes to write about relationships and how couples can revitalize their love lives in and out of the bedroom. She is currently associated with Marriage.com. She is a big believer in living consciously and encourages couples to adopt its principles in their relationships. By taking purposeful and intentional action, Sylvia feels any relationship or marriage can be transformed and truly enjoyed.